Tom Lane wrote:
I'm not completely convinced that you're seeing the same thing,
but if you're seeing a whole lot of semops then it could well be.

I'm seeing ~280 semops/second with spinlocks enabled and ~80k semops/second (> 4 mil. for 100 queries) with --disable-spinlocks, which increases total run time by ~20% only. In both cases, cpu usage stays around 25%, which is a bit odd.

[...]You said
you're testing a quad-processor machine, so it could be that you're
seeing the same lock contention issues that we've been trying to figure
out for the past year ...

Are those issues specific to a particular platform (only x86/Linux?) or is it a problem with SMP systems in general? I guess I'll be following the current discussion on -hackers closely...

Regards,
 Marinos