Greetings,

I have been beating myself up today trying to optimize indices for a query that uses LIKE. In my research I have read that the locale setting may affect PostgreSQL's choice of seq scan vs index scan. I am running Fedora Core 2 and it appears when I run "locale" that it is set to 'en.US-UTF-8'.

Did I fall into a "gotcha" trap here about C vs non-C locales? I'm not much of a C programmer so I have no idea what all this touches and everything has been left as default during PG compilation as well as Fedora install. I can pg_dump and initdb again with --locale=C if this will allow my LIKE queries to use indexes, but I just wanted to know if there was some other place I needed to change locales in the system? e.g. postgresql.conf or env vars? Or, would the initdb and reload alone fix it?

I'm running 8.0.1 if that matters.

Thanks

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not match