On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 21:24 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Karim,
> How about getting some decent disk support?  A single 10K SCSI disk is a bit
> sub-par for a database with 100's of millions of records.  Too bad you didn't
> get a v40z ...

Hehe. I have one I am setting up that will be dedicated to postgresql,
hence my question about a week ago about disk partitioning/striping :-)

> Beyond that, you'll want to do the same thing whenever you purge the
> referencing table; drop keys, delete, re-create keys.  Or think about why it
> is you need to delete batches of records from this FKed table at all.

The database is for weather data from multiple sources. When adding a
new dataset, I have to create/test/delete/recreate the config in the
FKed table. Users don't have this power, but I need it.
Drop/delete/recreate is a totally acceptable solution for this scenario.

I guess I was wondering if there is other general tuning advice for such
large table indexes such as increasing statistics, etc.

Karim Nassar
Department of Computer Science
Box 15600, College of Engineering and Natural Sciences
Northern Arizona University,  Flagstaff, Arizona 86011
Office: (928) 523-5868 -=- Mobile: (928) 699-9221