There are a few very valuable tuning documents that are part of the established PostgreSQL-related literature. You don't mention which version of postgres you'll be running, but here are the documents you'll find useful:

7.4: annotated_conf_e.html

general tuning

Thomas F. O'Connell
Co-Founder, Information Architect