Your assumption is correct.  The data was generated out of a DB2 database,
and uses commas as field delimiters.

Thank you for the workaround,
--- Steve

Steven Rosenstein
IT Architect/Developer | IBM Virtual Server Administration
Voice/FAX: 845-689-2064 | Cell: 646-345-6978 | Tieline: 930-6001
Text Messaging: 6463456978 @
Email: srosenst @

"Learn from the mistakes of others because you can't live long enough to
make them all yourself." -- Eleanor Roosevelt

             Gavin Sherry
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             u>                                                         To
             Sent by:                  Steven Rosenstein/New
             pgsql-performance         York/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                          cc
                                       Re: [PERFORM] Bulk COPY end of copy
             04/04/2005 08:00          delimiter

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, Steven Rosenstein wrote:

> Today while trying to do a bulk COPY of data into a table, the process
> aborted with the following error message:
> ERROR: end-of-copy marker corrupt
> CONTEXT: COPY tbl_logged_event, line 178519: "606447014,1492,2005-02-24
> 03:16:14,2005-02-23 20:27:48,win_applog,,error,adsmclientservice,nt
> author..."
> Googling the error, we found reference to the '\.' (backslash-period)
> an "end-of-copy marker".  Unfortunately, our data contains the
> backslash-period character sequence.  Is there any know fix or workaround
> for this condition?

Any sequence \. in COPY input data should be escaped as \\. If this data
was generated by pg_dump then its a problem, but I haven't seen any other
reports of this. Can I assume that you've generated the data for bulk load
yourself? If so, there is discussion of escaping characters here:

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend