Greg Stark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> In any case the issue with the IDE protocol is that fundamentally you
> can only have a single command pending. SCSI can have many commands
> pending.

That's the bottom line: the SCSI protocol was designed (twenty years ago!)
to allow the drive to do physical I/O scheduling, because the CPU can
issue multiple commands before the drive has to report completion of the
first one.  IDE isn't designed to do that.  I understand that the latest
revisions to the IDE/ATA specs allow the drive to do this sort of thing,
but support for it is far from widespread.

                        regards, tom lane

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster