Mischa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Quoting Tom Lane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> WHERE a.x > b.y AND a.x < 42

> Out of curiosity, will the planner induce "b.y < 42" out of this?

No.  There's some smarts about transitive equality, but none about
transitive inequalities.  Offhand I'm not sure if it'd be useful to add
such.  The transitive-equality code pulls its weight because you so
often have situations like

        create view v as select a.x, ... from a join b on (a.x = b.y);

        select * from v where x = 42;

but I'm less able to think of common use-cases for transitive
inequality ...