We are currently considering the possibility of creating a warm standby machine utilizing heartbeat and a network attached storage device for the DATA directory. The idea being that the warm standby machine has its postmaster stopped. When heartbeat detects the death of the master server, the postmaster is started up on the warm standby using the shared DATA directory. Other than the obvious problems of both postmasters inadvertently attempting access at the same time, I'm curious to know if anyone has tried any similar setups and what the experiences have been. Specifically is the performance of gigE good enough to allow postgres to perform under load with an NFS mounted DATA dir? Are there other problems I haven't thought about? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

--
Jeff Frost, Owner       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Frost Consulting, LLC   http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/