I think it's a little misleading that your tests show 0ms seek times
for some of the write tests.  The environmental test also selects a
missing data point as the winner.  Besides that, it seems to me that
seek time is one of the most important features for a DB server, which
means that the SCSI drives are the clear winners and the non-WD SATA
drives are the embarrassing losers.  Transfer rate is import, but
perhaps less so because DBs tend to read/write small blocks rather
than large files.  On the server suite, which seems to me to be the
most relevant for DBs, the Atlas 15k spanks the other drives by a
fairly large margin (especially the lesser SATA drives).  When you
ignore the "consumer app" benchmarks, I wouldn't be so confident in
saying that the Raptors "put on a good show".

__
David B. Held
Software Engineer/Array Services Group
200 14th Ave. East,  Sartell, MN 56377