> What also seems weird to me is that the control table has some unique
> indexes created on it, but the data_upate_events table just has a unique
> constraint.  Will postgres use an index in the background to enforce
> this constraint?

If you somehow have a unique constraint without a unique index, something is
seriously broken.   I suspect hacking of system tables.

Otherwise, it sounds like you have index bloat due to mass deletions.  Run
REINDEX, or, preferably, VACUUM FULL and then REINDEX.

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco