Joel Fradkin wrote:
I would very, very strongly encourage you to run multi-user tests before
deciding on mysql. Mysql is nowhere near as capable when it comes to
concurrent operations as PostgreSQL is. From what others have said, it
doesn't take many concurrent operations for it to just fall over. I
can't speak from experience because I avoid mysql like the plague,
though. :)

I am just testing the water so to speak, if it cant handle single user tests
then multiple user tests are kind of a waste of time.

Joel I think you are missing the point on the above comment. The above
comment as I read is, o.k. you are having problems with PostgreSQL BUT MySQL isn't going to help you and you will see that in multi-user tests.

MySQL is known to work very well on small databases without a lot of concurrent sessions. I don't think anybody here would argue that.

Where MySQL runs into trouble is larger databases with lots of concurrent connections.

I am a little disappointed I have not understood enough to get my analyzer
to use the proper plan, we had to set seqscan off to get the select from
response_line to work fast and I had to turn off merge joins to get assoc
list to work fast. Once I am up I can try to learn more about it, I am so
glad there are so many folks here willing to take time to educate us newb's.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake
Command Prompt, Inc.