Joel Fradkin wrote:

I am guessing our app is like 75% data entry and 25% reporting, but the reporting is taking the toll SQL wise.

This was from my insert test with 15 users.
Test type: Dynamic
 Simultaneous browser connections: 15
 Warm up time (secs): 0
 Test duration: 00:00:03:13
 Test iterations: 200
 Detailed test results generated: Yes
Response Codes

 Response Code: 403 - The server understood the request, but is refusing to
fulfill it.
  Count: 15
  Percent (%): 0.29

Response Code: 302 - The requested resource resides temporarily under a different URI (Uniform Resource Identifier). Count: 200 Percent (%): 3.85

Response Code: 200 - The request completed successfully. Count: 4,980 Percent (%): 95.86

My select test with 25 users had this
Properties

 Test type: Dynamic
 Simultaneous browser connections: 25
 Warm up time (secs): 0
 Test duration: 00:00:06:05
 Test iterations: 200
 Detailed test results generated: Yes

Summary

 Total number of requests: 187
 Total number of connections: 200

 Average requests per second: 0.51
 Average time to first byte (msecs): 30,707.42
 Average time to last byte (msecs): 30,707.42
 Average time to last byte per iteration (msecs): 28,711.44

 Number of unique requests made in test: 1
 Number of unique response codes: 1

Well, having a bandwidth of 392Bps seems *really* low. I mean that is a very old modem speed (3200 baud).

I'm wondering if you are doing a lot of aggregating in the web server,
and if you couldn't move some of that into the database by using plpgsql
functions.

That would take some of the load off of your IIS servers, and possibly
improve your overall bandwidth.

But I do agree, it looks like the select side is where you are hurting.
If I understand the numbers correctly, you can do 5k inserts in 3min,
but are struggling to do 200 selects in 6min.

John
=:->

Errors Counts

 HTTP: 0
 DNS: 0
 Socket: 26

Additional Network Statistics

 Average bandwidth (bytes/sec): 392.08

 Number of bytes sent (bytes): 64,328
 Number of bytes received (bytes): 78,780

 Average rate of sent bytes (bytes/sec): 176.24
 Average rate of received bytes (bytes/sec): 215.84

 Number of connection errors: 0
 Number of send errors: 13
 Number of receive errors: 13
 Number of timeout errors: 0

Response Codes

 Response Code: 200 - The request completed successfully.
  Count: 187
  Percent (%): 100.00

Joel