Greg Stark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>> What if the hash index stored *only* the hash code? That could be useful for
>>> indexing large datatypes that would otherwise create large indexes.
>>
>> Hmm, that could be a thought.

> Hm, if you go this route of having hash indexes store tuples ordered by hash
> code and storing the hash code in the index, then it seems hash indexes become
> just a macro for a btree index of HASH(index columns).

No, not at all, because searching such an index will require a tree
descent, thus negating the one true advantage of hash indexes.  I see
the potential value of sorting by hashcode within an individual page,
but that doesn't mean we should do the same across the whole index.

                        regards, tom lane

      joining column's datatypes do not match