Colton A Smith wrote:

Hi:

 I have a table called sensors:

                                    Table "public.sensor"
     Column      |           Type           |                    Modifiers
-----------------+--------------------------+------------------------------------------------- sensor_id | integer | not null default nextval('sensor_id_seq'::text)
 sensor_model_id | integer                  | not null
 serial_number   | character varying(50)    | not null
 purchase_date   | timestamp with time zone | not null
 variable_id     | integer                  | not null
 datalink_id     | integer                  | not null
 commentary      | text                     |
    "sensor_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, btree (sensor_id)
Foreign-key constraints:
"datalink_id_exists" FOREIGN KEY (datalink_id) REFERENCES datalink(datalink_id) ON DELETE RESTRICT "sensor_model_id_exists" FOREIGN KEY (sensor_model_id) REFERENCES sensor_model(sensor_model_id) ON DELETE RESTRICT "variable_id_exists" FOREIGN KEY (variable_id) REFERENCES variable(variable_id) ON DELETE RESTRICT

Currently, it has only 19 rows.  But when I try to delete a row, it takes
forever. I tried restarting the server. I tried a full vacuum to no avail. I tried the following:

explain analyze delete from sensor where sensor_id = 12;
                                           QUERY PLAN
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Seq Scan on sensor (cost=0.00..1.25 rows=1 width=6) (actual time=0.055..0.068 rows=1 loops=1)
   Filter: (sensor_id = 12)
 Total runtime: 801641.333 ms
(3 rows)

Can anybody help me out?  Thanks so much!

I'd say the obvious issue would be your foreign keys slowing things down. Have you analyzed the referenced tables, and indexed the columns on the referenced tables?

--