A pretty awful way is to mangle the sql statement so the other field logical statements are like so:

select * from mytable where 0+field = 100

Tobias Brox wrote:
Is it any way to attempt to force the planner to use some specific index
while creating the plan?  Other than eventually dropping all the other
indices (which is obiously not a solution in production setting anyway)?

I have one case where I have added 16 indices to a table, many of them
beeing partial indices.  The table itself has only 50k of rows, but are
frequently used in heavy joins.  I imagine there can be exponential order on
the number of alternative paths the planner must examinate as function of
the number of indices?

It seems to me that the planner is quite often not choosing the "best"
index, so I wonder if there is any easy way for me to check out what the
planner think about a specific index :-)

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster