In an attempt to throw the authorities off his trail, "Morgan" <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]> transmitted:
> At first I was using straight insert statments, and although they
> were a bit slower than the prepared statments(after the restablished
> connection) they never ran into this problem with the database being
> initially empty. I only changed to the prepared statements because
> it was suggested in the documentation for advice on bulk data loads
> =).

I remember encountering this with Oracle, and the answer being "do
some loading 'til it slows down, then update statistics and restart."

I don't know that there's an obvious alternative outside of perhaps
some variation on pg_autovacuum...
--
If this was helpful, <http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=cbbrowne> rate me
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/spreadsheets.html