PostgreSQL and say to use MySQL if you want reasonable performance.

If you want MySQL performance and reliability with postgres, simply run it with fsync deactivated ;) I'd suggest a controller with battery backed up cache to get rid of the 1 commit = 1 seek boundary.

Makes it
real fun to be a DSpam+PostgreSQL user when limits are reached, since
everyone denies responsibility. Fortunately, PostgreSQL people are pretty
helpful even if they think the client software sucks. :)

Cheers,

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq