I only add records, and most of the values are "random"
Except the columns for dates, ....

On 21 Jun 2005, at 17:49, John A Meinel wrote:

Yves Vindevogel wrote:

And, after let's say a week, would that index still be optimal or
would it be a good idea to drop it in the weekend and recreate it.

It depends a little bit on the postgres version you are using. If you
are only ever adding to the table, and you are not updating it or
deleting from it, I think the index is always optimal.
Once you start deleting from it there are a few cases where older
versions would not properly re-use the empty entries, requiring a
REINDEX. (Deleting low numbers and always adding high numbers was one of
the cases)

However, I believe that as long as you vacuum often enough, so that the
system knows where the unused entries are, you don't ever have to drop
and re-create the index.

John
=:->

Met vriendelijke groeten,
Bien à vous,
Kind regards,

Yves Vindevogel
Implements

TIFF image

Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] - Mobile: +32 (478) 80 82 91

Kempische Steenweg 206 - 3500 Hasselt - Tel-Fax: +32 (11) 43 55 76

Web: http://www.implements.be
<x-tad-smaller>
First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.
Mahatma Ghandi.</x-tad-smaller>

       match