Yves Vindevogel wrote:
Hi,

Suppose I have a table with 4 fields (f1, f2, f3, f4)
I define 2 unique indexes u1 (f1, f2, f3) and u2 (f1, f2, f4)

I have 3 records
A, B, C, D (this will be inserted)
A, B, C, E (this will pass u2, but not u1, thus  not inserted)
A, B, F, D (this will pass u1, but not u2, thus not inserted)

Are you saying you want to know whether they will be inserted before you try to do so?

Now, for performance ...

I have tables like this with 500.000 records where there's a new upload of approx. 20.000 records. It is only now that we say index u2 to be necessary. So, until now, I did something like insert into ... select f1, f2, f2, max(f4) group by f1, f2, f3
That is ok ... and also logically ok because of the data definition

I'm confused here - assuming you meant "select f1,f2,f3", then I don't see how you guarantee the row doesn't alredy exist.

I cannot do this with 2 group by's. I tried this on paper and I'm not succeeding.

I don't see how you can have two group-by's, or what that would mean if you did.

So, I must use a function that will check against u1 and u2, and then insert if it is ok.
I know that such a function is way slower that my insert query.

So - you have a table, called something like "upload" with 20,000 rows and you'd like to know whether it is safe to insert them. Well, it's easy enough to identify which ones are duplicates.

SELECT * FROM upload JOIN main_table ON u1=f1 AND u2=f2 AND u3=f3;
SELECT * FROM upload JOIN main_table ON u1=f1 AND u2=f2 AND u3=f4;

Are you saying that deleting these rows and then inserting takes too long?

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend