You could have a program pre-parse your log and put it in a format understandable by COPY, then load it in a temporary table and write a part of your application simply as a plpgsql function, reading from this table and doing queries (or a plperl function)...

So... (bear with me here.. trying to make sense of this)..
With triggers there's a way I can do the parsing I need to on a log
file and react to completed events in non-sequential order (you can
ignore that part.. it's just how we piece together different related
events) and then have perl/DBD::Pg invoke a copy command (which, from
what I can tell, has to operate on a file...) and the copy command can
feed the ID I need back to perl so I can work with it...
If that doesn't hurt my brain, then I'm at least kinda confused...
Anyway. Heading home now. I'll think about this more tonight/tomorrow.

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

      match