Chris,
Would you say that 30000 pages is a good maximum for a Postgres install?
We're running 8.0.3 on 64-bit SUSE on a dual Opteron box with 4G and have
shared_buffers set at 120000.  I've moved it up and down (it was 160000
when I got here) without any measurable performance difference.

The reason I ask is because I occasionally see large-ish queries take
forever (like cancel-after-12-hours forever) and wondered if this could
result from shared_buffers being too large.

Thanks for your (and anyone else's) help!
Martin Nickel

               http://archives.postgresql.org