On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 02:39, Thomas F. O'Connell wrote:
> The WAL Configuration chapter (25.2) has a pretty good discussion of
> how wal_buffers is used:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/wal-configuration.html
>
> You might also take a look at Josh Berkus' recent testing on this
> setting:
>
> http://www.powerpostgresql.com/

Thanks; I'd seen the documentation, but not Josh Berkus'
testing.

For my part, I don't have a large number of concurrent
connections, only one.  But it is doing large writes,
and XLogInsert is number 2 on the profile (with
LWLockAcquire and LWLockRelease close behind).  I suppose
that is expected, but lead by the documentation I wanted
to make sure XLogInsert always had some buffer space to
play with.

        --Ian