Mark,

On 10/7/05 5:17 PM, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 04:55:28PM -0700, Luke Lonergan wrote:
>> On 10/5/05 5:12 PM, "Steinar H. Gunderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> What? strlen is definitely not in the kernel, and thus won't count as
>>> system time.
>> System time on Linux includes time spent in glibc routines.
>
> Do you have a reference for this?
>
> I believe this statement to be 100% false.

How about 99%? OK, you're right, I had this confused with the profiling
problem where glibc routines aren't included in dynamic linked profiles.

Back to the statements earlier - the output of time had much of time for a
dd spent in system, which means kernel, so where in the kernel would that be
exactly?

- Luke