PFC <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>       Just a stupid question about the various fsync settings.
>       There is fsync=off, but is there fsync=fflush ?
>       fflush would mean only an OS crash could cause data loss,
>       I think.it could be useful for some applications where you need a speed
>
> boost (like testing database import scripts...) without being as scary as
> fsync=off...

I think you misunderstand.  There aren't any scenarios where a PG crash
(without hardware/OS crash) risks data, because we always at least
write() data before commit.  The only issue is how hard do we try to get
the OS+hardware to push that data down to disk.

                        regards, tom lane

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq