Hi, Bruce,

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>Ahh. There's a hack to do that by defining a new opclass that reverses <
>>and >, and then doing ORDER BY project_id, id, date USING new_opclass.
>>
>>I think there's a TODO about this, but I'm not sure...
>
> Yes, and updated:
>
>       * Allow the creation of indexes with mixed ascending/descending
>         specifiers
>
>         This is possible now by creating an operator class with reversed sort
>         operators.  One complexity is that NULLs would then appear at the
> start
>         of the result set, and this might affect certain sort types, like
>         merge join.

I think it would be better to allow "index zig-zag scans" for
multi-column index.[1]

So it traverses in a given order on the higher order column, and the sub
trees for each specific high order value is traversed in reversed order.
>From my knowledge at least of BTrees, and given correct commutator
definitions, this should be not so complicated to implement.[2]

This would allow the query planner to use the same index for arbitrary
ASC/DESC combinations of the given columns.

Just a thought,
Markus

[1] It may make sense to implement the mixed specifiers on indices as
well, to allow CLUSTERing on mixed search order.

[2] But I admit that I currently don't have enough knowledge in
PostgreSQL index scan internals to know whether it really is easy to
implement.