Jim C. Nasby wrote:
On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 02:27:41PM -0700, Ron St-Pierre wrote:
We just purchased a new Dell PowerEdge 2800 (dual xeon, 8GB RAM, raid 4, RHEL, postgres 8.1) and ported our old database over to it (single cpu,

RAID *4*?
oops, raid 5 (but we are getting good io throughput...)
If you do any kind of updating at all, you're likely to be real unhappy
with that...

2GB RAM, no raid, postgres 7.4). Our apps perform great on it, however some queries are super slow. One function in particular, which used to take 15-30 minutes on the old server, has been running now for over 12 hours:
 BEGIN
     TRUNCATE stock.datacount;
     FOR rec IN SELECT itemID, item, hexValue FROM stock.activeitem LOOP
histdate := (SELECT updatedate FROM stock.historical s WHERE s.itemID=rec.itemID ORDER BY updatedate DESC LIMIT 1);
         IF histdate IS NOT NULL THEN
funddate := (SELECT updatedate FROM stock.funddata s WHERE s.itemID=rec.itemID); techdate := (SELECT updatedate FROM stock.techsignals s WHERE s.itemID=rec.itemID); IF (histdate <> funddate) OR (histdate <> techdate) OR (funddate IS NULL) OR (techdate IS NULL) THEN
                 counter := counter + 1;
                 outrec.itemID := rec.itemID;
                 outrec.item := rec.item;
                 outrec.hexvalue := rec.hexvalue;
                 RETURN NEXT outrec;
             END IF;
         END IF;
     END LOOP;
     INSERT INTO stock.datacount (itemcount) VALUES (counter);
     COPY stock.datacount TO ''/tmp/datacount'';
     RETURN;
 END;

note: stock.activeitem contains about 75000 rows
Getting EXPLAIN ANALYZE from the queries would be good. Adding debug
output via NOTICE to see how long each step is taking would be a good
idea, too.

I set client_min_messages = debug2, log_min_messages = debug2 and log_statement = 'all' and am running the query with EXPLAIN ANALYZE. I don't know how long it will take until something useful returns, but I will let it run for a while.
Of course, even better would be to do away with the cursor...
How would I rewrite it to do away with the cursor?
"top" shows:
CPU states:  cpu    user    nice  system    irq  softirq  iowait    idle
        total    5.8%    0.6%   31.2%   0.0%     0.0%    0.5%   61.6%
Mem: 8152592k av, 8143012k used, 9580k free, 0k shrd, 179888k buff

The high system % (if I'm reading this correctly) makes me wonder if
this is some kind of locking issue.

But it's the only postgres process running.
                6342296k actv, 1206340k in_d,  137916k in_c
Swap: 8385760k av, 259780k used, 8125980k free 7668624k cached

PID USER     PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM   TIME CPU COMMAND
17027 postgres 25 0 566M 561M 560M R 24.9 7.0 924:34 1 postmaster

I've likely set some parameter(s) to the wrong values, but I don't know which one(s). Here are my relevant postgresql.conf settings:
shared_buffers = 70000
work_mem = 9192
maintenance_work_mem = 131072
max_fsm_pages = 70000
fsync = off       (temporarily, will be turned back on)
checkpoint_segments = 64
checkpoint_timeout = 1800
effective_cache_size = 70000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax
660000000

We want to put this into production soon, but this is a showstopper. Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks

Ron St.Pierre

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

              http://archives.postgresql.org