[Jim C. Nasby - Thu at 10:28:31AM -0500]
> I think it'd be much better to experiment with using much larger
> shared_buffers settings. The conventional wisdom there is from 7.x days
> when you really didn't want a large buffer, but that doesn't really
> apply with the new buffer management we got in 8.0. I know of one site
> that doubled their performance by setting shared_buffers to 50% of
> memory.

I've upped it a bit, but it would require a server restart to get the
new setting into effect.  This is relatively "expensive" for us.  Does
anyone else share the viewpoint of Nasby, and does anyone have
recommendation for a good value?  Our previous value was 200M, and I
don't want to go to the extremes just yet.  We have 6G of memory
totally.