Jim C. Nasby wrote:
Wait... so you're using perl to copy data between two tables? And using
a cursor to boot? I can't think of any way that could be more
inefficient...

What's wrong with a plain old INSERT INTO ... SELECT? Or if you really
need to break it into multiple transaction blocks, at least don't
shuffle the data from the database into perl and then back into the
database; do an INSERT INTO ... SELECT with that same where clause.

The data are on two different computers, and I do processing of the data as it
passes through the application.  Otherwise, the INSERT INTO ... SELECT is my
first choice.

Craig

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq