Memory usage remains consistent, which is to say that postgres is using most available system memory all the time, as I configured it to. There is no swapping going on.

It's not clear to me why forcing a WAL checkpoint would help anything.... but it doesn't matter, as only superusers can do it, so it's not an option for me. Unless there's a whole other meaning you were implying....?