"Gopal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Thanks for your suggestions. Here's an output of the explain analyse.

What's the query exactly, and what are the schemas of the tables it
uses (psql \d descriptions would do)?

The actual runtime seems to be almost all spent in the hash aggregation
step:

>          ->  HashAggregate  (cost=58.13..58.16 rows=1 width=117) (actual
> time=15.572..15.573 rows=2 loops=1)
>              ->  Hash IN Join  (cost=3.34..58.10 rows=7 width=117) (actual
> time=0.261..0.544 rows=50 loops=1)

15 msec seems like a long time to aggregate only 50 rows, so I'm
wondering what aggregates are being calculated and over what
datatypes...

                        regards, tom lane

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq