On Tue, 12 Dec 2006, Tom Lane wrote:

Um, you entirely missed the point: the hardware speedups you mention are
quite independent of any compiler options.  The numbers we are looking
at are the relative speeds of two different compiles on the same
hardware, not whether hardware A is faster than hardware B.

The point that I failed to make clear is that expecting Mike's system to perform like Daniel's just because they have similar processors isn't realistic, considering the changes that happened in the underlying hardware during that period. Having very different memory subsystems will shift which optimizations are useful and which have minimal impact even if the processor is basically the same.

--
* Greg Smith [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend