Tobias Brox wrote:
[Heikki Linnakangas - Fri at 10:41:34AM +0000]
I thought about partitioning the table by state, putting rows with state=4 into one partition, and all others to another partition.

That sounds like a good idea - but wouldn't that be costly when changing state?

In PostgreSQL, UPDATE internally inserts a new row and marks the old one as deleted, so there shouldn't be much of a performance difference.

I'm not very familiar with our partitioning support, so I'm not sure if there's any problems with an update moving a row from one partition to another. I think you'll have to create an INSTEAD OF UPDATE rule to do a DELETE on one partition and an INSERT on the other partition. Depending on your application, that might be a problem; UPDATE is different from DELETE+INSERT from transaction isolation point of view.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas

               http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate