Campbell, Lance wrote:
Richard,
Thanks for your reply.
You said:
"Your operating-system should be doing the caching for you."

My understanding is that as long as Linux has memory available it will
cache files.  Then from your comment I get the impression that since
Linux would be caching the data files for the postgres database it would
be redundant to have a large shared_buffers.  Did I understand you
correctly?

That's right - PG works with the O.S. This means it *might* not be a big advantage to have a large shared_buffers.

On older versions of PG, the buffer management code wasn't great with large shared_buffers values too.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

      match