On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 11:29 -0500, Madison Kelly wrote:
>    I am looking at writing a search engine of sorts for my database. I
> have only ever written very simple search engines before which amounted
> to not much more that the query string being used with ILIKE on a pile
> of columns. This was pretty rudimentary and didn't offer anything like
> relevance sorting and such (I'd sort by result name, age or whatnot).

Look at Tsearch2:

http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/tsearch/V2/

It has a lot of features for searching, and can make use of powerful
indexes to return search results very quickly. As someone already
mentioned, it also has ranking features.

Regards,
        Jeff Davis

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq