On 28-2-2007 0:42 Geoff Tolley wrote:
[2] How do people on this list monitor their hardware raid?  Thus far we
have used Dell and the only way to easily monitor disk status is to use
their openmanage application.  Do other controllers offer easier means
of monitoring individual disks in a raid configuration?  It seems one
advantage software raid has is the ease of monitoring.

Recent Dell raid-controllers are based on LSI chips, although they are not exactly the same as similar LSI-controllers (anymore). Our Dell Perc5/e and 5/i work with the MegaCLI-tool from LSI. But that tool has really limited documentation from LSI itself. Luckily Fujitsu-Siemens offers a nice PDF:
http://manuals.fujitsu-siemens.com/serverbooks/content/manuals/english/mr-sas-sw-ug-en.pdf

Besides that, there are several Dell linux resources popping up, including on their own site:
http://linux.dell.com/

Personally I use nagios with nrpe for most of the monitoring, and write a little wrapper around the cli monitoring tool from the controller manufacturer to grok whether it's in a good/degraded/bad state.

If you have a MegaCLI-version, I'd like to see it, if possible? That would definitely save us some reinventing the wheel :-)

Dell PERC controllers I think are mostly just derivatives of Adaptec/LSI controllers, so you might be able to get a more convenient monitoring tool from one of them that might work. See if you can find your PERC version in http://pciids.sourceforge.net/pci.ids, or if you're using Linux then which hw raid module is loaded for it, to get an idea of which place to start looking for that.

The current ones are afaik all LSI-based. But at least the recent SAS controllers (5/i and 5/e) are.

Best regards,

Arjen

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster