[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi All,

Currently in one of the projects we want to restrict the unauthorized users to the Postgres DB. Here we are using Postgres version 8.2.0

Can anybody tell me how can I provide the user based previleges to the Postgres DB so that, we can restrict the unauthorized users as well as porivde the access control to the users based on the set previleges by the administrator.

The pgsql-general list might be more appropriate for this type of
question...  Still:

Are you talking restrictions based on database-users ?   If so, look
up grant and revoke in the PG documentation  (under SQL commands).

If you're talking about restricting system-users to even attempt to use
psql  (which really, would not be much of a restriction), then perhaps
you would have to assign a group-owner to the file psql and grant
execute permission to the group only (well, and owner).

HTH,

Carlos