But if an individual disk fails in a disk array, sooner than later you
would want to purchase a new fitting disk, walk/drive to the location
of the disk array, replace the broken disk in the array and activate
the new disk. Is this correct?

Thanks
Peter

On 4/4/07, Alvaro Herrera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Andreas Kostyrka escribió:
> * Peter Kovacs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [070404 14:40]:
> > This may be a silly question but: will not 3 times as many disk drives
> > mean 3 times higher probability for disk failure? Also rumor has it
> > that SATA drives are more prone to fail than SCSI drivers. More
> > failures will result, in turn, in more administration costs.
> Actually, the newest research papers show that all discs (be it
> desktops, or highend SCSI) have basically the same failure statistics.
>
> But yes, having 3 times the discs will increase the fault probability.

... of individual disks, which is quite different from failure of a disk
array (in case there is one).

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq