If the 3U case has a SAS-expander in its backplane (which it probably has?) you should be able to connect all drives to the Adaptec controller, depending on the casing's exact architecture etc. That's another two advantages of SAS, you don't need a controller port for each harddisk (we have a Dell MD1000 with 15 drives connected to a 4-port external sas connection) and you can mix SAS and SATA drives on a SAS-controller.

Best regards,

Arjen