On 5/8/07, Tom Lane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
You're not getting the indexscan optimization of the LIKE clause, which
is most likely due to having initdb'd the 8.1 installation in something
other than C locale.  You can either redo the initdb in C locale (which
might be a good move to fix other inconsistencies from the 7.3 behavior
you're used to) or create a varchar_pattern_ops index on the column(s)
you're using LIKE with.

Given the performance implications of setting the wrong locale, and
the high probability of accidentally doing this (I run my shells with
LANG=en_US.UTF-8, so all my databases have inherited this locale), why
is there no support for changing the database locale after the fact?

# alter database test set lc_collate = 'C';
ERROR:  parameter "lc_collate" cannot be changed

Alexander.

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq