Joshua D. Drake wrote:
Am I missing something?? There is just *one* instance of this idea in, what,
four replies?? I find it so obvious, and so obviously the only solution that
has any hope to work, that it makes me think I'm missing something ...

Is it that multiple PostgreSQL processes will end up monopolizing as many
CPU cores as you give it?  (ok, that would suck, for sure  :-))

PostgreSQL is process based, so if you have one query that is eating a lot of cpu, it is only one cpu... you would have another for your render to run on.

There is still the issue that there could be several (many?) queries running concurrently --- but that's much easier to control at the application level;
so maybe simply using a multi-CPU/multi-core hardware would be the
simplest solution?

Carlos

               http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate