On Tue, 8 May 2007, Luke Lonergan wrote:

From discussions with the developers, the biggest issue is a technical one: the Linux VFS layer makes the [ZFS] port difficult.

Difficult on two levels. First you'd have to figure out how to make it work at all; then you'd have to reshape it into a form that it would be acceptable to the Linux kernel developers, who haven't seemed real keen on the idea so far.

The standard article I'm you've already seen this week on this topic is Jeff Bonwick's at http://blogs.sun.com/bonwick/entry/rampant_layering_violation

What really bugged me was his earlier article linked to there where he talks about how ZFS eliminates the need for hardware RAID controllers:
http://blogs.sun.com/bonwick/entry/raid_z

While there may be merit to that idea for some applications, like situations where you have a pig of a RAID5 volume, that's just hype for database writes. "We issue the SYNCHRONIZE CACHE command to the disks after pushing all data in a transaction group"--see, that would be the part the hardware controller is needed to accelerate. If you really care about whether your data hit disk, there is no way to break the RPM barrier without hardware support. The fact that he misunderstands such a fundamental point makes me wonder what other gigantic mistakes might be buried in his analysis.

--
* Greg Smith [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq