I did not find a solution so far; and for bulk data transfers I now
>programmed a workaround.

But that is surely based on some component installed on the server, isn't
it?

Correct. I use a pyro-remote server. On request this remote server copies
the relevant rows into a temporary table, uses a copy_to Call to push them
into a StringIO-Objekt (that's Pythons version of "In Memory File"),
serializes that StringIO-Objekt, does a bz2-compression and transfers the
whole block via VPN.

I read on in this thread, and I scheduled to check on psycopg2 and what it is doing with cursors.

        What about a SSH tunnel using data compression ?
        If you fetch all rows from a query in one go, would it be fast ?
Also, PG can now COPY from a query, so you don't really need the temp table...

              http://archives.postgresql.org