Kari Lavikka wrote:
Hello!

Some background info.. We have a blog table that contains about eight million blog entries. Average length of an entry is 1200 letters. Because each 8k page can accommodate only a few entries, every query that involves several entries causes several random seeks to disk. We are having problems with queries like:

1) give me a list of months when I have written someting
2) give me id's of entries I have written on month X year X
3) give me the number of blog entries my friends have written since last
   time

I didn't see your schema, but couldn't these problems be solved by storing the article id, owner id, and blog date in a separate table? It seems that if you don't actually need the content of the blogs, all of those questions could be answered by querying a very simple table with minimal I/O overhead.

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq