smiley2211 wrote:
Hello all,

Old servers that housed 7.4 performed better than 8.1.4 version...are there
any MAJOR performance hits with this version???

Are you using the default UNICODE encoding for your databases??
This could potentially translate into a performance hit  (considerable?
Maybe, depending on what your applications do)

A related question:  why not update to the latest, 8.2.x ??

I set the postgresql.conf setting to equal that of 7.4 and queries still run
SLOW on 8.1.4...

Hmmm, I don't think the settings should be the same --- search the
archives for discussions on performance tuning and an informal
documentation of the postgresql.conf file.

3) vacuum analyze

Am I understanding correctly that you did this??  Just to double check,
yes, it is *very* important that you analyze the database *after loading it*.

You could probably check the postgres log file to see if there are any
obvious red flags in there.

HTH,

Carlos

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster