I don't understand this argument --- the newer system has actually
less memory than the old one;  how could it fit there and not on the
old one?  Plus, how could dropping-recreating the database on the same
machine change the fact that the entire dataset entirely fit or not in
memory??

Because on the older server it is bloated, while on the new one it is
fresh thus no dead tuples.

Wait a second --- am I correct in understanding then that the bloating
you guys are referring to occurs *in memory*??

My mind has been operating under the assumption that bloating only
occurs on disk, and never in memory --- is there where my logic is
mistaken?

I wonder if I should then periodically run a vacuum full --- say, once
a week?  Once a month?

Never.  What you need to do is make sure your FSM settings
(fsm_max_pages in particular) are high enough, and that you VACUUM (not
full) frequently enough.

Noted.

Thanks!

Carlos