On Mon, 19 Nov 2007, Jean-David Beyer wrote:

I am pretty sure they will never upgrade RHEL5 to the 8.2 series because they do not do it to get new features.

That's correct.

I do know that if I try to use .rpms from other sources, I can get in a lot of trouble with incompatible libraries. And I cannot upgrade the libraries without damaging other programs.

You're also right that this is tricky. I've written a guide that goes over the main issues involved at http://www.westnet.com/~gsmith/content/postgresql/pgrpm.htm if you ever wanted to explore this as an option.

--
* Greg Smith [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster