On 11/26/07, Damon Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> So, what's different between these tests? I'm seeing performance
> differences of between +65% to +90% transactions per second of the
> OpenVZ kernel running on the HN over the stock Fedora 8 kernel. Is
> this reflective of different emphasis between RHEL and Fedora kernel
> builds?  Some OpenVZ optimization on top of the RHEL5 build? Something
> else? Where should I look?

A recent FreeBSD benchmark (which also tested Linux performance) found
major performance differences between recent versions of the kernel,
possibly attributable to the new so-called completely fair scheduler:

  http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2007-11/msg00132.php

No idea if it's relevant.

Alexander.

                http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate