On Jan 11, 2008, at 3:52 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:37:37 -0800
Steve Atkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Well, maybe.  The problem is actually that, without a netmask
under CIDR,
the address alone isn't really enough.  You have to have a netmask
to get
the packets to the destination.

Not really. You may well need netmasks to configure your interface,
but there's absolutely no need for them to identify an IP endpoint,
which is all
you need to identify the destination the packet is going to, and
that is the
most common use of IP addresses.

Steve I think you are speaking of practicality and implementation
versus RFC compliance. I believe per the RFC Andrew is correct.

I don't believe that's the case, but really we're at "how many angels
dance on the head of a pin" level quibbling by this point. :)

Cheers,
  Steve

              http://archives.postgresql.org