Guy Rouillier wrote:

Scott Marlowe wrote:

I assume you're talking about solid state drives?  They have their
uses, but for most use cases, having plenty of RAM in your server will
be a better way to spend your money.  For certain high throughput,
relatively small databases (i.e. transactional work) the SSD can be
quite useful.

Unless somebody has changes some physics recently, I'm not understanding the recent discussions of SSD in the general press. Flash has a limited number of writes before it becomes unreliable. On good quality consumer grade, that's about 300,000 writes, while on industrial grade it's about 10 times that. That's fine for mp3 players and cameras; even professional photographers probably won't rewrite the same spot on a flash card that many times in a lifetime. But for database applications, 300,000 writes is trivial. 3 million will go a lot longer, but in non-archival applications, I imagine even that mark won't take but a year or two to surpass.

I think the original poster was talking about drives like these:
http://www.texmemsys.com/

Basically, they're not using Flash, they're just big ol' hunks of battery-backed RAM. Not unlike a 10GB battery backed buffer for your raid, except there is no raid.

Brian

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster