On Jun 24, 2008, at 9:12 PM, jay wrote:

I've a table with about 34601755 rows ,when I execute 'update msg_table set type=0;' is very very slow, cost several hours, but still not complete?

Why postgresql is so slowly? Is the PG MVCC problem?

But I try it on Mysql, the same table and rows, it only cost about 340
seconds.

Any idea for the problem?

My machine config:
        Memory 8G, 8 piece 15K disk , 2CPU(Quad-Core) AMD
        OS: Red Hat AS4

My postgres.conf main parameter is following:

Hi Jay,

Is the "type" used in an index? Have you properly increased your number of checkpoint segments? Any warnings in in your log file about excessive checkpointing?

Cheers,

Rusty
--
Rusty Conover